Frequently Asked Questions
- Does it cost anything to make an online memorial?
No. Online True Friends Memorials are free. Memorial gifts of any amount are appreciated.
- Who can I contact for help with creating my online memorial?
First, please review our online help page. If you cannot find your answer, please e-mail your question to TrueFriends@peta.org. If you need immediate assistance, please call our True Friends Memorial coordinator at 757-962-8374.
- What information do I need to create a memorial?
You need the following information:
- The name of the person or animal you are memorializing
- A story about and photo of your true friend (both are optional)
- Your name, e-mail address, and street address
- Do you send thank-you e-mails to people who make gifts to my memorial?
Yes. We send a thank-you e-mail to anyone who makes an online gift to your memorial. We also encourage you to send personal thank-you messages.
- How do I know if someone has made a gift to my online memorial?
You can track all the gifts made to your memorial by visiting your personal Memorial Center. If you have not already logged on to this system, you will create a username and password for the Memorial Center when you create your online memorial.
- Can I make a memorial gift in honor of a person or animal who doesn't have an online memorial?
Yes. You may make a memorial gift here.
- What dollar amount should I give? Is there a minimum?
This is completely up to you. We do not require a minimum amount if you choose to make a donation in honor of a true friend.
- How are honorees/next of kin notified?
If you have created an online memorial to a person, you will be asked to enter information about the next of kin. This individual will receive notification anytime a gift is made to your memorial.
If you make a memorial contribution honoring a person who does not have a memorial page, you will have the option of entering the e-mail address of a family member or friend, whom we will notify of your contribution.
- What information should I put in the obituary for donations in lieu of flowers?
In lieu of flowers, please send contributions to PETA, Attn.: True Friends Memorial Coordinator, 501 Front St., Norfolk, VA 23510, or contribute online at the contribution page.
- Do you have grave markers or know where I can buy one?
We do not sell grave markers (headstones). However, we do have several PETA Business Friends that offer unique ways to help memorialize and pay tribute to your loved one. Please visit PETAMall.com for a listing of these companies.